"Come now my child, if we were planning to harm you, do you think we'd be lurking here beside the path in the very darkest part of the forest..." - Kenneth Patchen, "Even So."
THIS IS A BLOG ABOUT STORIES AND STORYTELLING; some are true, some are false, and some are a matter of perspective. Herein the brave traveller shall find dark musings on horror, explorations of the occult, and wild flights of fantasy.
Friday, January 10, 2020
THE SMOKING RUIN & OTHER STORIES: A REVIEW (okay not a review so much as a love letter because I couldn't find a damn thing wrong with it)
Wednesday, January 8, 2020
Monday, January 6, 2020
- Does this use of magic further the aims of the deity, expand its influence, or protect its cult in the world? Remember always that the character serves the deity, not the other way around.
- Is there another way for the same effect to be accomplished that doesn’t involve the deity expending its power? Keep in mind that gods are “fueled” by worship and sacrifice, and that every expenditure of power diminishes them.
- Is the worshipper worthy of this magic; i.e. does the character behave consistently according to its divine Rune affinity, does the character regularly worship and sacrifice, does the character hold any position in the cult (priest? Rune master? Devotee?)? The more important an instrument the character is, the more likely a deity will be to act.
Tuesday, December 17, 2019
- Performed during Sacred Time or High Holy Day +6
- Being at a shrine +3
- Being at a temple +6
- Donation or Sacrifice offered equal to a Moderate Wealth Contest +3 ( see p. 234)
- Donation or Sacrifice offered equal to a High Wealth Contest +6
- No Donation or Sacrifice offered -3
Thursday, December 12, 2019
Saturday, December 7, 2019
A guide the party trusts leads them into a trap. The guide is not a villain, but forced into this action by some hold the true enemy has over him.
- Runes: Fire/Sky, Life, Truth
- Keywords: Dara Happan, Scribe, Ex-Slave
- Motivation: To rescue his younger brother, Ythvan
- Runes: Air, Motion (personality traits only; unawakened)
- Keywords: Heortling, Haraborn Clan, Farmer
- Motivation: To keep his band of escaped slaves together, to maintain leadership of them, to punish the world for what it has done to them
- Runes: Air, Motion, Beast
- Keywords: Heortling, Haraborn Clan, Hunter
- Motivation: To restrain Harrock’s worst impulses, to go home
- Runes: Moon, Illusion, Chaos
- Keywords: Lunar, Spy Master, Black Fang
- Motivation: To capture “Starbrow’s Children,” to deal with these escaped slaves
- If they are wading through the water, they reach a massive pile-up of debris that will have to be climbed over.
- If they are along the cliff tops, the cliffs start to break up into a series of chasms that have to be jumped over or otherwise crossed.
- The player characters might be suspicious of the river men, and through magic or some other Ability discover they are Lunar agents. This might lead to a fight and Orin’s confession.
- If any of the player characters were injured by the Cliff Toads, and this has slowed the party down enough that he thinks he will miss the rendezvous, Orin’s agitation builds until finally he snaps in a fit of anxiety and despair. He will confess the entire thing, and weep that he has failed his brother whom now the Lunars will surely kill.
- Or…Orin might simply confess, torn by duty to his family and love for his new friends. He might break down and explain that he cannot go through with it and beg them to help him.
- Finally, Orin might keep to the plan, and continue leading them downriver…until the party encounters the escaped slaves first. This will force Orin to break down and reveal what he was really doing.